Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

FATE, CHANCE, OR HOPE

if I believe all the particles inside and outside earth are each racing from some very small tiny point to a perimeter as yet undefined to no discernible purpose with as it were occasional liaisons or rest stops to coalesce and coagulate but otherwise moving in a fairly predictable way towards final decomposition and dissolution I might say it's my belief the world has its destiny ... I might on the other hand disbelieve in destiny ... I might say instead these physical congregations are not only totally accidental but so is existence itself ... I might believe there's no evidence now or ever has been of this continuing one nanosecond more ... on the third hand ... you see I will need your help ... I might take both destiny and chance to point to my salvation ... there is a design but we didn't make it ... you can tell that by all the accidents we suffer ... there is a plan but we've got something better that recognizes things don't always go according to plan ... someone better ... hope ... in someone's promise

cf moltmann, theology of hope, I.8

No comments: