Pages

Monday, October 13, 2008

RECANT

you would at the end of life recant all your mistakes for fear of something worse and say they gave you no pleasure ... you might even believe it ... memory now at the service of your immediate desire to survive somehow anyhow ... but there should be a little man at the back of your head at the base of your skull to stand up and say no that's not the way it was ... I enjoyed myself ... it was fun ... and he should have an audience of your past moments and present good advice who stand up then and applaud the little man for telling the truth ... but then the audience will sit down and having heard just a little bit of the truth they'll be in the mood to hear some more ... what will you tell them ... the stage is now yours ... might you not reverse the last four hundred years of philosophy in the west ... use your little note of honesty to flip the foolish sin of pride at the beginning ... when it said I think therefore I am ... as if this I am was not already the name of something far greater than man or creation and you little man could use it to close your claim of self-definition ... not I think therefore I am ... but he thinks therefore I am his ... now that's a correction worth applause

No comments: