Pages

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

NOT SELFISH ENOUGH

my formal study of philosophy was similar to yours ... that is I expect you began with descartes ... since then a healthy generation long ago I've heard the man criticized for being too selfish ... I think therefore I am ... but I've come to disagree with that opinion ... and with what must be a radical disagreement for rather than too selfish I find the cogito not selfish enough ... he may start with I but he's really talking about think ... the therefore isn't for me it's for my thought he must be saying ... and this is so selfless as to lose the self completely ... and where's the self lost but in a huge wilderness of thoughts without thinkers ... of predicates without the first subject ... of a world not just without a soul but the whole universe without a self ... not even one ... and just because of this simple initial gamble on a thought ... even if THE thought ... we go to work today as well as relax in a thicket of chaotic predicates thorny but never fruitful as a result ... descartes descartes you've lost us in thought and now that's lost too

No comments: